Dappled Willow Tree Form??

gardengal106 Roses and Gardening In GeneralJuly 1, 2009

Hello. Has anyone had any experience with this tree? How fast does it grow? Are the roots Invasive? Its health in general? Any info you feel that is important.

Thanks so much Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

The Hakuru Nikishi Willow is a well behaved plant. It's much more treated as a shrub than a tree. As far as health, I'm no expert but I haven't heard much problems associated with this tree.

Ianna

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 11:22AM
hvaldez(7)

I planted a tree form of dappled willow a couple of years ago and it is thriving. I have it in full sun and only added fresh compost to the planting hole. I have had to cut off a couple of sucker starts on the lower trunk as the dapple willow is grafted onto the main trunk or something(read about about in other posts and this made sense because the new shoots had much different leaves). Its one of my favorite plants in the garden.

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 12:58PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

I purchased a small, 12-inch dappled willow shrub at a nursery in September 08 which I proceeded to train as a standard or tree-form.

It's presently about 4 feet tall and I intend (hopefully) to train it to about 8 feet tall.

My next-door neighbor has 2 beautiful specimen (tree forms) which are about 12 feet tall. I thought they were slow-growing or had reached their full height because it seems they.ve been that tall for the past couple of years. However, while speaking with him the other week, he informed me that he prunes off about a foot or more each year so they won't get too tall.

Very beautiful trees.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:22PM
ianna(Z5b)

dianasan, your information is very timely. A friend wanted to get one of these plants but she didn't want to buy the standards since these are grafted plants. I mentioned that these can be trained into trees from shrubs but I didn't know how long it would take to get there.

I totally agree - these are excellent plants and they do have that 'spark' that makes it shine out.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:23PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

ianna, you have to be very patient, but I love the challenge. It's looking good so far.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 1:12AM
ianna(Z5b)

dianasan, I'm very patient. I do bonsai and topiaries. A 2-3 year wait is nothing for me and I love to prune.

BTW - I got so interested in this plant I went out and bought a shrub of my own. I've just planted it out today after I removed much of its branches to begin the training process into a tree.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 8:56PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

With your experience, I'm sure the tree will be beautiful, ianna.

I've always wanted to create a bonsai, bought lots of containers and books on the subject, but never actually got around to doing it. Maybe in a few years when I have more time.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 10:55PM
ianna(Z5b)

I started when I was very young and naive -- 14 years I think. Some trees I grew from seeds, some from cuttings. Sadly I had leave them behind when I migrated but they are still well taken cared of. I give them prunings and root prunnings when I go back every few years. It is an involved process so it does take commitment. Over here I tried to get back into it but like what you said, time is an issue. Plus I need the proper space to put the plants in and the proper protection from winter. So for the meantime I'm just doing topiaries.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 9:22AM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

ThatÂs very impressive, ianna. Bonsai really is an art and you seem to have a real talent. It must have been hard to leave your Âbabies behind.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 10:22PM
stelladelamare

I planted a dappled willow standard last year. It was in poor health at the time but made it through winter and was very healthy until recently.I've noticed the tip of the leaves are turning brown once they change to pink (from green). We've had more rain than normal for the season - could this be the cause? If not, any idea what's causing this and how to remedy? Also, I was surprised to see the leaves are light pink while the ones in the neighbourhood are bright pink - could this be because it's a standard and not a tree? Thank you for your advice.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 5:24PM
ianna(Z5b)

stella - the light pink is normal. I noticed my plant (newly planted) had a little browning episode but has since recovered. It too has light pink and white foliage. Is your tree still browning up and is it shriveling?

The standards are usually grafted ones. You will see a graft union right at the base of the crown. If this part is damaged, like some splits or insect infestations, these could cause the top to be affected. So this is the area to protect in winter.

I cannot comment on tree forms - because sometimes these can also be from standards or from a shrub that was developed into a tree (which is what I am doing).

Continue to observe it. Give it some fertilizers for trees and shrubs. or some good compost and composted manure. I think it will do okay.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 11:02AM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

My little dappled willow shrub that I'm grooming into a tree has some browning too, as do my neighbor's two 12-foot trees.

As ianna said, I think the browning after the pink is normal.

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 12:26AM
ivoryandnoir

Good afternoon! I also have had a dappled willow, bush form, in my front foundation area for about a year and a half now. It's quite healthy (north east exposure) but I would love to keep it more "tree-like" It has so many off-shoots, I really wouldn't know where to start...any help in how to begin this process would be appreciated :)

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 2:30PM
ianna(Z5b)

describe 'tree-like'. Do you mean a lollipop form? For this you'd have to identify a main trunk or a trunk you selected to be the main trunk. Second, remove all side branches up to the point the crown begins. Then for the crown, trim all the top to form a large ball. maintain this form every few months during the growing season.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 6:38PM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

My willow is now about 7 feet tall. I almost started crying when I looked out the window this morning after last night's severe thunderstorms. There was my little willow completely flattened and lying beneath an eight-foot cast aluminum plant stand.

I ran outside, lifted off the plant stand and pulled up my tree. Amazingly, it's still in one piece and standing upright.

As they say...

The willow which bends to the tempest, often escapes better than the oak that resists it.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Is walnut tree mulch ok for paths between raised vegetable garden beds
Just had a stump ground down and am also in the process...
burtman23
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Canada Blooms in Toronto
Good day all, I've just found a possee of gardening...
Justine_London
Canadian Garden blogs
I would love to collect a list of Canadian garden blogs...
Crafty Gardener
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
Indulgence Table Lamp
$450.00 | Bellacor
Bricks and Mortar Rug
| Dot & Bo
New Haven Espresso Brown 24-inch Bath Vanity with 2 Drawers and Dappled Grey Gra
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Legacy Dappled
$78.40 | Home Depot
Set of Four Dapple Salad Plates
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Cherry Blossoms Parker Light Blaster Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™