Edging plants beside flagstone path

noplacelikehomeforsureJuly 26, 2008

I have a curving flagstone path leading to the deck and I recently opened up a bed alongside it, about ten feet long and about four or five feet wide, depending on the curve. The other side is grass lawn. The bed is planted with some shrubs and flowers.

Could anyone advise on suitable plants to retain the soil at the edge of the path, without flopping too much onto the path or invading too much into the bed.

My first post!

Thank-you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

sorry no one has given you any advise to date. What sort of bed do you have? Is it sloping towards the path?

You may need simple creeping plants but do take note that creeping plants by nature do get into the pathway. These kinds will hug the earth and so is perfect for soil errosion controls. It is a simple matter of cutting them whenever it gets in the way. Thyme will do and there are several types to create an interesting combination. Avoid invasives such as goats beard, creeping jenny or sweet woodruff.

However you can also consider sedum autumn joy which has a clumping look to it. lavenders or even some low ornamental grasses such as a blue fescu. I like the looks of euphorbia but its sap is toxic and may break easily when one brushes against it, so if it is by a pathway, perhaps it's not such a great idea.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 1:08PM
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

I am a big fan of Sempervivums when you want a low border plant. They can form quite a dense clump and will keep the soil in place nicely. The babies can invadea bit for some ssemps, but they are pretty shallow rooted and they pull up very easily.

Some other low plants are Armeria, Dianthus, Ajuga (invasive, but easy to pull up), and Campanulas.

BP

BP

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 5:44PM
noplacelikehomeforsure

Thanks so much bonniepunch and ianna for your excellent suggestions, I apologise for not responding before now.

This forum is so great - looking forward to reaching out again when I need friendly advice. I'm also going to find out how I can post pictures, which as they say, are "worth a thousand words"!

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 11:05AM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Another one that is really nice and looks like it is becoming perennialize in my gardens is a shorter variety of Sweet Williams. Mine grew and flowered at about 8 inches in thick clumps. I bought the seeds at the Dollar Store just because my daughter saw them and wanted some. Glad I did! I am now collecting seeds from them in the gardens furthest away from the tall varieties and hope they come true.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Has anyone given up on hostas?
I know they're a shade garden staple, and they look...
noplacelikehomeforsure
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™