stuttgard as houseplant?

nucci60(6 Ma.)August 26, 2007

Has anyone tried this in the winter? I hate to put mine into dormancy for fear it won't "wake up".Would stuttgard be anymore difficult to store than other cannas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

I do not put any of my cannas totally to sleep since I grow most of mine in pots.

I bring them in before the frost get them. In my area that is usually about Oct. I keep them all in the laundry room at temps of 50-60 degrees all winter. I give them 1/2 cup of water once a month just enough so they do not dry up.

They do not grow and some of the leaves die down. But in March they start sending up new leaves. There is very little light in my laundry room the only light they get is from two glass block windows. Some how they know Spring is arriving and start to wake up. I put them out in May.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 7:54PM
nucci60(6 Ma.)

thats good news marquest. do you divide them or pot them up larger in the spring? Most of my canna are in the ground, but my two stuttgards and my new canna bird of paradise from brians botanicals are potted and about six feet now.I wish I could post pictures because the BOP is the most awesome looking canna I have ever seen with long, very narrow, bluish leaves that looks like a bird of paradise.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 10:55PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I divide and repot in the Spring. By just moving them in for the winter undisturbed I have never lost a canna in 6 years.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 11:40AM
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)

Nucci60-

Marquest is correct. I never divide or clean mine up in the fall. I have not lost a canna in years.

Be careful though. It's really easy to rot the rhizomes if you try to keep it as a "houseplant" in winter. It's almost impossible make them grow like this in winter. Much better off dormant and undisturbed.

And the Stuttgardt have very long ropelike rhizomes, so be careful when you dig them up.

good luck with your cannas!
Boca Joe

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
knobrocker
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™