More of the same weather for August

dianasan(z5a Mtl)July 29, 2011

Environment Canada says that the weather in August will mimic July's and that means higher than normal temperatures for the majority of eastern and central Canada, and cooler and wetter for most of Newfoundland and Labrador, Alberta and British Columbia.

I was pleased to see that the sky was overcast this morning, thinking that it would be cooler and more comfortable for the digging and planting I had to do today. But the humidity was so oppressive and it looks like we're in for more of the same.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

It looks like we are all suffering from climate change, I'm not complaining too much tho, those that have extremely high temps and drought are really having it rough.
Right now I'm loving our weather, after a very cold winter with lots of rain and snow (our winters are usually quite mild). Spring wasn't much better cold and very wet. Right now we're enjoying the 70's, warm and not too hot, the odd sprinkling of rain but not enough that I don't have to drag the hoses out. If August and September stay the same as it is now I'll be one happy camper.

Annette

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 12:51PM
LilacIsLove(5a)

Cloud cover actually makes it warmer, because the clouds hold in the heat. I don't mind the weather, but I sure wouldn't be saying that if I didn't have A/C!

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 5:32PM
joel_bc(z6 BC)

In our region (southeastern BC mountain valley), this year's weather could be described as cool nights, only spottily warm days (a few fairly hot ones), lost of overcast, occasional showers and out-and-out rains, higher than average general humidity.

Not a great gardening year. People are having troubles (in some cases, quite severe) with tomatoes and potatoes, and problems with the cabbage family (esp cauliflower & broccoli), the usually dependable varieties of corn, and pear trees.

Ir's bad enough for us serious amateurs - I've got 5000 sq ft in food gardens - but it's tragic for the market gardeners and small farmers.

On our place, the onion family (incl garlic) has done well, berries okay, artichokes okay, cucumbers okay, apple trees okay.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 8:05PM
joel_bc(z6 BC)

Am I the only one having troubles due to this weather?

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 11:30AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Market gardeners here in southern Ontario are having trouble with the lack of rain all summer. Unless one can supply water to the plants, the yields are very poor.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™