New here, and to canna's

fatbaldguyAugust 26, 2007

I was given a few rhizomes last year and the results were good. I took a bit more time with soil preparation this year and the results are spectacular.

I don't know what variety I have, nor do I have the technical ability to post a photo.

The are around six feet tall, large green foliage, and upright, slightly curved scarlet blossoms.

I'm bitten by the bug. I've constructed a longitudinal bed (3x8) in total day long sun. I used 36 cubic feet of compost, and covered that with around 50 cubic feet of horse manure and bedding that is wood chips. This bed is being kept moist, even in this dry weather. I'll be adding some 'topsoil' a bit later in the season.

In the spring, I'll be planting my current ones plus some Black Knight, Richard Wallace, Tangelo, and Miss Oklahoma. These will be purchased from Horn.

I love watching the hummers come in to feed on these.

The intention is for the bed to grow a few feet in either direction every year.

When I have some decent stock, I'll be looking to trade.

I wish I could afford some of the Karchesky varieties, wow, are they stunning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

Welcome to the obsession. I am not really excited about most of the flowers but the ones with the gorgeous leaves are my favorite. I have Tropicanna, Bengal Tiger, Pink Sunburst, Intrigue, Stuttgart.

One with beautiful leaves and a pretty flower is Cleopatra. It has a beautiful purple stripe down the leaves and the flowers are big yellow and red.

The green leave Cannas that do not have impressive flowers I plant them with other tropicals that have pretty flowers. Like Dahalias,glads and annual flowers.

You are going to love these plants.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 8:04PM
lynn_d(Z5 PA)

Welcome to an obsession, FBG! I just joined it a few years ago and love the plants! But I am in deep trouble now because I have discovered Karchesky and bought a couple from them this year......along with a couple of brugmansia. I'm doomed.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 9:28AM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

Fatbaldguy, Do your canna look like this?

If so, it's Robert Kemp. It seems to be the most common canna in Ohio.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 4:57PM
fatbaldguy

Thank you whip1. That is exactly what I have. The hummingbirds seem to enjoy them very much.

I'm really looking forward to growing different varieties.

On a whim I purchsed an insect eaten, semi-dried out bronze leaved plant at a local Home Depot (call it pity, and a hefty discount). No ID for the plant, but it has made a remarkable recovery in my flower bed. I now have three distinct plants, but it doesn't seem to want to grow much past 2 - 2 1/2 feet. I suppose I might see a blossom next year unless the warmth holds out through late October.

I've even begun exploring where a small greenhouse might fit in or about the yard. :>0

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™