Campsis grandiflora

bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)August 4, 2007

Anyone else grow this? I started this from seed last year and it survived this past winter - which was pretty hard here in Montreal (no snow cover and cold temps).

References to it indicate it's only hardy to USDA zone 7 or so. I'm wondering if I have the hardier C. radicans instead, or if the plant is much hardier than commonly believed. I did have it mulched and it was in an area that has allowed me to overwinter plants that are not supposedly hardy to my area, so maybe I am just lucky?

BP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mora(6)

Hi Bonnie, I've had two for several years. They are growing very fast this year but neither have yet to bloom, M

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 12:22PM
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

Do yours have any above ground growth that survives the winter or does it die back to the ground? I'm just wondering if I should bury the vine as some people do with some roses...

BP

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 7:48PM
mora(6)

Bonnie, sorry to be so long in answering. I left the season's growth as is and it took a long time to show any signs of life but when it leafed out it all was well, still no buds but I have heard it can take years in our cold climate to bloom...not exactly what the catalogue said...M

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 9:54PM
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

You mean a catalogue misled you?!? :-) Heh - if I had a dollar for every time I bought something that turned out to be different than advertised, I'd be rich! Well, ok, maybe not rich, but still - it has happened a lot to me too :-)

Mine looked dead until sometime in mid June - I only knew it was still alive because when I popped it out of its pot I could see nice healthy roots. It's grown a lot though this year so I was wondering what to do with the vine. I think I'll cover the vine with a good thick layer of mulch, just in case. There's a big one at the Botanical Gardens here, so maybe it'll be ok. I have no idea how long they've had it but it's big enough to bloom. I don't know what they do with it in the winter though...

BP

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Yacon
Is anyone growing this vegetable in Canada? It's a...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™