What to expect

RetiredFlorida(9)August 10, 2012

Just received almost a dozen cuttings/diggings (what do you call them?) of red and yellow cannas from a generous soul and planted in pots as given to me. The roots have about a foot of plant above them but from what I've read here, I'm thinking maybe I should trim them close to ground level. Will they flower this season, I'm in West Central Florida?

Any advice would be welcome, very new gardner.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

Leave them be!

I recently took up Canna gardening, and started with a few small purchases from the USF Tropical Fair, supplemented by about 14 tissue culture plants from Florida Hill Nursery, all of them, about the size of yours.

Give them a good compost/manure mix, water daily, and provide them as much sun as possible.

Don't be alarmed if you see a leaf or two die along the way, as I'm finding they'll 'burn' through leaves quickly, while adding inches to their stalks, and sending up pups around them.

It's tough to say if they'll flower this season, but if it stays warm here (I'm in Pinellas) till October/November, it's definitely a possibility.

Lastly, don't trim them down unless a particular stalk has flowered. Once a stalk flowers, it's not going to grow further. At that point, trim the stalk back to the base, but leave the rest of the plant alone.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RetiredFlorida(9)

Thank you Foreverlad last night but apparently the posting didn't stick.

The roots or tubes that I received had anywhere from 8 to 12 inches of the plant above the root or ground level attached. I have since trimmed all back to just a few inches above the soil level. One plant, smaller stock, had new growth up through the middle and is probably over a foot tall now, just about to form leaves. I checked the rest and I see two sprouts forming on two of the plants. I had been keeping them in the garage but have since started putting them outdoors.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Tropical Gardener
Sponsored Products
Calhoun Sofa - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Cruz Two-tone Gas Lift Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Brown Crescent Swivel Armless Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture
First Aid Drinking Flask
Classic Hostess
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV19AB Landscape Lighting Spot
$64.28 | Home Depot