When do I need to pull them for winter?

jjdbikeSeptember 14, 2011

Hello

I live in West Chester PA which is in south easter PA. When do I need to pull my cannas to store for winter?

Thanks.

JD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

JD,
It is usually best to dig your cannas after a light/killing frost. The rhizomes will usually continue to slowly grow even after this time but pick a time that fits your schedule. Your storage area temperature may be a factor in the time schedule.
Regards, Kent

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 5:41PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

The previous post is correct though it is better to "pull" them BEFORE any frost damage has occurred. If at all possible try to keep them in growth throughout the winter. In your area this will mean some form of heating. If you do they will start a lot more quickly come the spring.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 11:32PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

About two weeks after frost has killed them I have a corm/ rhizome/bulb digging day when my cannas, callas and dahlias (among other things) are dug and stored for winter. If rain or cold is in the forcast I might dig a little earlier.

tj

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 7:46PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Cannas are hardy up through zone 7 at least, meaning they survive considerable frost into the teens and lower.

I dig mine and bring them in for storage no earlier than late October typically, though any time before the ground freezes should work. You don't want to be out there with an icy wind and temps below 40 digging up your canna rhizomes.

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 3:04PM
rokal(LongIsland/z6b)

I cut mine down to the ground about two weeks ago after a killing frost. I plan to start digging them out this weekend.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
knobrocker
another use for 100 mph tape
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™