Does anyone know this which canna this is?

poisondartfrogSeptember 6, 2007

I know this is a named Canna, but I don't know which one. I have tried to ID it, but can't seem to get past the precise red margin around the medium green leaves. All of the leaves have this very even red line around them (it almost looks like it is curled up slightly in this photo, but it is not) and the main stalk is also green with red. The bloom is similar in color to Wyoming, but is perhaps more orange without the golden undertone and the foliage is not bronze.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_texas_peg(8a West Cen TX)

Looks like my green foliage Wyoming...is it tall? Mine was about 7 to 8 feet this summer.

Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Wyoming

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 11:20AM
poisondartfrog

Thanks Peg! I think you nailed it. It is probably 6-7 feet tall in my garden, too. I was not aware that there was a green foliaged Wyoming. The red leaf margin looks exactly right.

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 11:52AM
chrystallake_2007

My Wyoming have red in the leaves as well, are there more than one?

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 6:46AM
poisondartfrog

The Wyoming I am familiar with has bronzy purple foliage, not at all like the one I inquired about which is pure green except for that even line of red around the margin. After looking at the link Peggy provided and doing some searches I found that not only are there at least two foliage types and Wyoming can be purchased either way, but flower color also varies from ones with solid orange flowers, to ones with yellow/orange/red flowers.
I am baffled by Canna naming conventions. I have always been puzzled as to why some varieties have several different commercial names, but now I discover that what appear to be distinct cultivars are actually quite variable.
Can anyone explain away my confusion, or is that just the way it has been, is, and will be?

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 9:18AM
william_illinois(z5 IL)

Canna 'Wyoming' has bronze foliage and orange flowers. It has been commercially available for many years.

Canna 'Green Wyoming' is one or more cannas with generally orange flowers and generally green leaves that people have taken to applying that name to.

There is no naming authority for cannas. Unless they are doing so to commit commercial fraud, people can start pretending that all cannas are variations of Canna 'Wyoming' without violating any rules.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Tropical Gardener
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
Sponsored Products
San Francisco 49ers Banner Flag
$24.99 | zulily
Steve Silver Clemens 3 Piece Occasional Table Set in Dark Wood
Beyond Stores
Contemporary Rectangle Fabric Shade Black Tapered Fixture Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Masiero Lighting | Botero 16 Light Pendant Light
YLighting
Clouds Polished Chrome 24-Inch Wide LED Square Framed Flush Mount
Bellacor
Soft Line 24V RGB LED Double Row Indirect
Lightology
Tiffany Style Geometric Color Stripes Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
Designers Fountain 6021 Value Wall Sconce Wall Sconce in Assorted Cap Finish Mul
$27.50 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™