Is My Kalanchoe Going to DIE???

gardenlady48(z5 IL)May 5, 2012

A few weeks ago I repotted this plant with new cactus soil since someone eluded from a different posting that the soil appeared too rich!..Okay...since I bought it from a store that is NOT a plant nursery I repotted then set it out in the full sun. Then came several days of a good amount of rain...Is that the issue here? Too much moisture? :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hanzrobo(11)

This plant, being variegated, prefers more shade than a regular K. luciae which also prefers partial shade. Anytime you repot a plant, it should be allowed to acclimate in the shade and settle in to it's new home (soil) before being introduced to very much sun. It's also a good idea to control the watering during this period.

This plant has made it onto my unfavorable list. The answer to your question: Yes, it's going to die... eventually. When the plant goes to flower (can happen anytime) it dies afterward. That's why it needs shade. The good news is that there are usually new pups occurring simultaneously and so the wheel of life continues to turn, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Help root rot kills one cactus another may be next
Hi here you can see my root rotted cactus And here...
birdgerhl
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™