Blooming above the Y question

dobra1629(z5 NY)June 8, 2010

I have heard that brugs start blooming once the y in the branches has formed, and was also told that cuttings should be taken from above the y also. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Dorothy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drvongirl

Great question Dorothy, as a newbie I too am curious about this, can't wait for the experts to answer!! Ellen

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 2:59AM
blicon1(5bny)

This is my take on this, although some may disagree. A seedling generally takes at least a year to produce a bloom, at or above the "Y". Cuttings taken from above this juncture should flower when the resulting plant has attained proper size and strength. Any cuttings taken from this or resulting plants in the future should be considered above the "Y", even though there is not a "Y" on that plant.

Jack

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 5:41AM
karyn1(7a)

I have the same results with seed grown plants. It's at least a full year before I get blooms. Usually in the second season but I do know some folks that get blooms the first year from seed, Brenda, for one. I often get blooms earlier on cuttings that have been taken from above a Y as opposed to cuttings taken from branches that have yet to bloom but that's not always the case. I've had some cuttings bloom very early on while the plant is still quite small. The blooms end up being longer then the plant is tall.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 6:06AM
fool4flowers(8)

Cutting can be taken from any part of the plant that is firm enough to root. Small thing green ones are the hardest. They tend to wither but it can be done in the right conditions. I have found the above the Y ones to bloom faster in the beginning but I think on the very small plants that do that the buds were already forming when the cutting was taken. I have had some get 8 feet tall before they Y and others do it when they are small. I guess its genetics for some of them.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Malted barley Teas
I always end up with extra cuttings so I root them...
rednofl
Finally able to retrieve my brugmansia....now what?!?
Hello everyone. I am hoping one of you experts will...
rnb68
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
Dr. Seuss got a little cold
Ok, so advice - Vinyl greenhouses from Big Lots cannot...
cygnwulf
Need Brugs Cuttings
Hello, a few yrs back a very nice woman on this forum...
gardenlady48
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™