Seedling Cannas?

theodosiaunderwoodSeptember 2, 2011

I haven't raised any cannas in my zone 5 garden for quite a few years. Yet, I will still occasionally have one come up in the garden. It has always been too late for them to mature and bloom. However, this year, I have one that may make it.

1. At first, I thought this was due to small pieces of rhizome left deep in the ground below frost line, but that would only explain the first year.

2. Are the seeds very hard and long-lived? Perhaps they have been in the ground waiting for idea conditions to germinate?

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Tom,
Fully mature canna seed can survive for an extended time providing the pathogens cannot penetrate the hard seed coat. I have seen fallow ground produce canna seedlings years after the area was devoid of cultivated cannas. I suspect the acidity of the soil ultimately breaks down the seed coat and if conditions allow, the seed will germinate. This occurrence proves to be a problem for the commercial growers because they often plant a new crop on old canna ground. The resulting seedlings, if not rogued out, will be harvested with the planted cultivar and the customer gets something not wanted.
Kent

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theodosiaunderwood

Thanks Kent,
It has been many years since I've had cannas. In fact, I cannot even remember the variety, or even the color that I had. However, I will probably--out of curiosity--baby this seedling along to see what comes of it.
Thanks Again,
Tom

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™