Mold on my Euphorbia obesa?

littlekirstenjr(8)May 17, 2014

Is this some type of mold on my Euphorbia obesa? It seems like every time I water it, it gets this white film all over it. What's the watering schedule for these guys anyway? I'm assuming water when soil is dry, but the tag said to water every other day, which sounds insane to me. I never followed it.

I just want mine to grow !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Aside from the mold, the general color appears as though your E. obesa has had it. If it is soft, it is dead. Sorry for the bad news, but it can happen to the best of us and I can't begin to tell you how many of these I've lost that I've grown from my own seed.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 2:54PM
spapa

I agree with the post above, and also yes, that tag is insane! If you decide to try again with a new plant, make sure it has tons of sun and water sparingly. I live in one of the driest parts of the U.S. and I water my cacti about once a month in winter (or less) and once every 2-3 weeks in summer. It depends on the species and of course on your soil and the humidity where you live. How often did you water this guy since you didn't follow the instructions (thank goodness)?

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:52PM
littlekirstenjr(8)

It's definitely still alive as it is about as hard as a rock. I took a look at the roots recently and they were quite extensive and not rotting. Something tells me it won't stay living that long unless I get this mildew/mold/fungi situation under control.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:52PM
littlekirstenjr(8)

I watered about once a week, which in retrospect I believe was far too much. That damn label fooled me into thinking they were thirsty drinkers!

I'm thinking of getting this guy more sun and watering very little, which I'm hoping will kill off the mold/mildew. Maybe I'm just delusional, but I think he can still be saved. He doesn't have any rotting tissue or bad roots. If there's any other ideas to save this little dude, I'd love to hear them.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:58PM
brodyjames_gw

Is it living indoors or out? If indoors and you can put it out, gradually increase the amount of sun it gets over the course of a few weeks. If that is mold, perhaps the sunlight will kill it. Also, what kind of mix is it in? From the little spot I can see, it appears to be very peaty.

Nancy

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 9:13PM
littlekirstenjr(8)

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'll be making a few changes and give an update when/if it responds well.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 2:26AM
More Discussions
Beginner: Growing Succulents in Semi-Hydro
Hi - new to the forum but have been enjoying reading...
lavendarlilies
Gasteraloe, possibly?
I'm new to this forum, so hello, I'm Alex! I'm a passionate...
Alex
Is this a Sempervivum?
I need help identifying this plant. I like succulents...
yonatin
Echeveria propagation and soil help for newbie
Hi! I'm new to this forum and new to raising succulents....
lavendarlilies
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™