australia canna

cannasrusSeptember 16, 2013

I have big seed pods that come up empty? why is this happening ? are there male and female bulbs ? I only have one this year and I was hoping to grow next years stock from seed. I have also had problems keeping their bulbs over the winter, in a warm garage???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

A number of our hybrid cultivars including Australia are unable to produce viable seed. Keep in mind that even if they do produce seed they are not true to name.

The typical reason these cultivars are sterile has to do with their breeding. They are a result of a cross that produced an odd number of chromosomes. They are called triploid offspring. A triploid is described as having three times the haploid number of chromosomes. The upside of these crosses is that the offspring typically produces superior size blooms.

Cultivars that typically produce viable seed are diploids. Many may be familiar with the result of a cross between a horse and a donkey. This cross will give us a mule. Mules are sterile but made excellent choices in some areas as draft animals.

Storage issues will need more information as to what you did after digging.

Kent

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 9:51PM
miketropic

I agree with Kent, BUT just like a mule every so often one isn't sterile and will produce seed. I have a friend who crossed pretoria when everyone said it wouldn't due to the triploid factor. there is a HIGH chance you will never get seed but always check the pods anyway for good measure

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 7:52PM
cannasrus

Thanks, I have kept 2 under lights this winter and they look great and ready for summer.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™