Hydrangea - what could be wrong?

hammonds_ns(6)August 15, 2008

I was hoping I could get some advice on the state of my hydrangea. It was put in about a month ago at which point it was looking decent, I thought it would do some blooming etc. Now the leaves have this speckled brown on them and the flowers have lost their colour, have spots and no new blooming. We had a good amount of rain about 2 weekends ago and I don't know if this may have waterlogged the plant? This is my first hydrangea experience. My neighbours (I live in a semi rural area) have a blue hydrangea at the front of their home and it looks great right now with vibrant colour-wondering what could be wrong with mine? I made this post on the hydrangea boards but received no feedback. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Your Hydrangea looks fine. It is simply getting used to it's new surroundings and adjusting to your soil. If you look at the top new leaves, they are nice and green and most of what is turning colour is the old growth from when you purchased the plant. I bought three Azaleas this year and they are all doing the same thing. Next year you won't see the discolouration.

Lacecap Hydrangeas (which is the variety you have) bloom on the previous year's wood, so it's likely that all the blooms you see is what you will have for this year.

So, in essence, your Hydrangea is doing perfectly fine.

Oh, and welcome to the forums from a fellow Nova Scotian. :O)

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hammonds_ns(6)

Hi Tiffy,

I hadn't checked this post in a few days and just wanted to say thanks for your response! I think you are correct as the plant has continued to be healthy aside from the discoloration in the leaves, and no blooming which I wasn't really expecting this year anyway. Good to hear from another Nova Scotian!

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
Plant Nurseries in Canada disappearing?
I had bookmarked years ago something that lists all...
yugoslava
Innovative New Plant Pot
Hello fellow garden enthusiasts! We are college students...
bcitco
Hey, where'd the Canadian Exchange go...
It seems to have disappeared.
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
'Amberton Publishing Blue Hydrangea' Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Jane Seymour 13 in. Mixed Hydrangea Planter - JSB216-GRPK
$350.00 | Hayneedle
Two-Tone Hydrangea Decoupage Pot
$69.99 | zulily
Holiday Elegance Arrangement with Urn - 1384
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Hydrangea 2-piece Swag Empress Valance