Insect that looks like large Yellow Jacket

californianMay 7, 2009

I have some kind wasp I guess that looks like a large Yellow Jacket that has been making small mud nests under my house eaves for many years. They don't sting, at least I have never been stung by one, and they are not aggressive. They seem to be constantly searching plant leaves for something, but they aren't eating the leaves. I am guessing they are looking for some insect prey, although I never saw them attack anything. They do not go on flowers so they are not nectar eaters. They make nests with about five or six adults in the small colony. Anyone know what these are, and can I assume they are a beneficial insect?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

One of our most common wasps in California is the paper wasp (a few species of Polistes). They are about twice as long as our common "yellow jackets" but not as proportionately thick.

They can, indeed, sting but they are happier catching caterpillars and stuffing them into their muddy-papery homes where they lay their eggs upon them.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 7:12PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Some mud wasps hunt spiders. It's like something out of a bad horror movie: they sting the spider, which puts it into suspended animation, then they cart if off to their mud nest, entomb in in mud with a wasp egg on it, and leave. The spider is consumed alive by the wasp larva(e?). Eeeewwww.

I love their mud nests, although the paper wasp nests are even prettier.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 10:23PM
napapen(ca 15)

I have both types and leave them alone as the IPM helpers. They overwinter in my sheds and wood pile. They also seem to recognize my voice as I talk with them when I am near. Once I saw a Mom come in and feed the 6 little one - it was like looking in a bird nest!

Penny

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 12:03PM
tanya47

I am a new gardener. At first I was afraid of these, as I hate yellow jackets terribly.
One morning I saw one hunting in my tomatoes, and catching and eating a little green caterpillar.
WOOT! I was like, you are my new best friend!! Thank you!

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 11:47PM
tanya47

I am a new gardener. At first I was afraid of these, as I hate yellow jackets terribly.
One morning I saw one hunting in my tomatoes, and catching and eating a little green caterpillar.
WOOT! I was like, you are my new best friend!! Thank you!

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™