What to do now in preparation for next year?

bonepinkAugust 13, 2013

We just bought our first home - a townhouse with a modest garden that wraps around 3/4 of a patio. The previous owner had a lovely garden at one point I am sure, but in recent years let it become overgrown.

Since it is the middle of August I wanted to simply focus on preparing for next year. I've started by pulling up all plants and weeds currently taking over the garden.

I am a beginner gardener and would love to try vegetables and flowers, but would prefer vegetables over the two.

Question is what should I start doing now? As I said I've been pulling everything up. Should I discard all these plants? Leave them to rot there? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I really am a beginner at this. What else should I be doing now? Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

I would simply throw out the weeds as these may contain seeds or roots that could regrow if placed in a compost pile. Do this to start fresh.

If you plan to do only vegetables next year, then all you will need to do is add new soil and this you can do in the spring when the ground is ready for planting.

Does this answer your questions?

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 2:54PM
bonepink

Great thanks! Easy enough. That's sort of what I was thinking, regarding seeds and roots of old plants... Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 3:22PM
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

I agree with ianna....soil amendments such as compost manure etc., dug in now will enrich your soil for next year...adding compost each year should be your number one priority to ensure a healthy productive garden....

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Has anyone given up on hostas?
I know they're a shade garden staple, and they look...
noplacelikehomeforsure
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™