storing rhizomes in the fridge

nyssaman(Z6 ON)September 9, 2007

I'm thinking about storing my canna rhizomes in the fridge - I'm not looking for answers like it should work - Please only respond if you have actually stored these in the fridge and they have successfully grown the following spring. Likewise if you are a very experienced gardener let me know if this won't work

cheers

Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Jeff,

Most fridges have their mean temperature a bit above freezing. That is too cold for a long period for the rhizomes. If you could regulate your fridge to about 45-50 degrees F, then it may be okay. You may have to think about condensation though. I also find that most fridges dehydrate. Just think about carrots that have been there for several weeks. They are not good at all. As I mentioned to you recently in person, try to find a place that is consistently cool for the winter. I think you'll have better success.

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 6:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

I guess I am wondering why you would want or need to store in the fridge? If you want to experiment to prove it can be done, have at it.

If you read past post most of us store in a cool room as Jroot suggested with success. It is your choice and what your final objective/outcome goal for next summer.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
another use for 100 mph tape
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™