Prunus Ilicifolia problems

jane1953May 8, 2010

Hi Folks,

I have some Prunus Ilicifolia planted under some established Monterey Pines. They have been in for about 3 years, survived but failed to thrives. Only put out a few leaves each year. Any suggestions? They get afternoon sun,

Any pests I should look for? Have had some fungus problems on other plants due to fog situation in berkeley hills.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I wonder if the pines are sucking 100% of the moisture out of the soil. Are there pine roots everywhere?

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 6:20PM
buddyben(z9 CA/Sunset 20)

I have read that they take 2-3 years to "get going." When I planted mine, I did not understand what this meant. But after watching mine do nothing much for 2 and a half years, I finally understood. During this third year, mine has finally started growing alot. In fact, it produced its very first flower buds this spring.
Even when it wasn't growing, it was still green and held its leaves and put out some new foliage every year. It gets alot of shade, being close to my orange tree. We have hot dry summers here, probably not like Berkeley.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 9:26PM
calistoga_al

Growing them under established Monterey pines, I would expect exactly the response you are getting. This is not generally considered an understory tree, to be grown in the shade with root competition from established trees. Al

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™