Canna-cide by duck

DISSmith(z8b SC)September 9, 2006

Today...my webbed-footed Muscovy duck friends chewed a prized Canna down to a height of 4" (also ate a Xanthosoma to the ground, and sheered off half a Colocasia Black Beauty!!) I don't have enough cayenne & wire cages. :O I guess I'm just wondering if it can recover, or have enough time to recover before it gets truly cold (Nov.). I've always left mine in-ground over winter when they die down but always come back(Z8). Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hydroharold(Hudson Vly NY)

I feel your pain! I found a 4" tuber discard growing in the compost pile late Spring. I rescued the little guy and potted him so he could catch up to the rest of the gang. Exploring woodchuck bit him off at the soil level, tasted him a little and left the body for me to find... I'll see how it grows next year... That was the first animal damage in four years since the Rottweiller vs. slingshot/paintball episode!

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 11:48PM
DISSmith(z8b SC)

LOL! OK, I'm not even gonna ask about the Rottweiller paintball thing! But I thank you for the sympathy. Darn ducks were back this morning, sniffing around the Gingers! I was out there like a crazy person trying to run them off. (They don't scare easily.) Guess I'll just see how the Canna does til it starts to get frosty, and remain on guard.

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 1:08PM
DISSmith(z8b SC)

Aargghh!! Ok, today they snacked on an Alocasia and ate all the Parrot Feather out of my little water garden! I nearly lost it! Considered having duck for dinner! (kidding. really.) I refuse to cover my entire garden in wire and can't stand guard 24/7! I will have to find some kind of duck repellant..somehow. :(

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™