Wintering potted cannas

candacebeckSeptember 21, 2008

Hello,

I am new to this forum. We have a huge lovely pot of cannas that we started this year. I have read that they may be brought indoors and wintered over as houseplants. What should I do before bringing them in? Do i cut them back? Do I fertilize them during the winter months? etc.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skippy05(z7 PA)

I bring mine inside & leave in the pot & just let them die off over the winter.
They will come back next spring. But mine did not bloom, just green leaves.
Other people dig them up, clean off the tubers, let them dry & store for the winter.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 5:15PM
skippy05(z7 PA)

I apologize, I called them tubers, instead of rhizomes.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 5:20PM
bubba62

Most of mine winter over in the ground here, but they are easy to carry over in pots. I just wait for the first frost to knock back the tops, cut them back to an inch or so of stem, and put the pots in a place where they'll be cool, but won't freeze solid (an unheated garage or basement works well.) Definitely no fertilizer until spring, and very little water - they should be almost dry. I water them maybe once a month during the winter. They could be kept in growth in a heated greenhouse, but in a home there would not be enough light for healthy growth, let alone bloom. Best to give them a rest for the winter and repot or top dress the plants in spring.

Plants that don't bloom the next year aren't getting enough sun, water, or food (they love compost) during the growing season. Rhizomes can get really crowded in pots and exhaust their food supplies rapidly, so I'd divide and replant them at least every other year.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 4:22AM
mskee(z6 MA)

I drag my pots into the basement, and basically ignore them. Around March (?), I'll see new sprouts shooting through the dried up soil. Amazing plants! I might start giving some occasional water at that point, but not too much. When it's time to plant out, I definitely divide the biggest clumps, or they will explode the pots.

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™