what is eating my cannas?

jrzgurl(9)September 24, 2011

something has been hungry this past week & I don't know what it is...I don't see any grasshoppers, slugs,catepillars etc. Any help is appreciated...thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

It's difficult to guess what might be feeding on your cannas because you do not indicate where you are located. Assuming you are in zone 9, we need to know if that is on the west coast or the deep South.
Not sighting the cause during the day indicates the problem likely is a night feeder. This often is slugs or snails depending on your location. It takes a rather large population to do the damage seen. You need to check abound the base of the plants and under any mulch or in crevasses for your problem. Most night feeders like to hide in a dark, moist place in the day.
You might try investigating at night with a flashlight. Good luck!
Kent

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:01PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Unfortunately Cannas are a gourmet meal for a variety of garden pests. Your best bet is to get up early and try and catch them at it. Major suspects: snails and caterpillars but it could also be weevils. Once you know what they are you can go to your local garden store and ask for a remedy. Unless it is snails Neem Oil is best. With snails just pick em off and smash em!!! Good luck. - Ian

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 11:23PM
beachplant(9b)

Snails do that to mine, it doesn`t take many with these giant snails we have here. Luckily our chickens LOVE snails
Tally HO!

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
knobrocker
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™