In-Ground Jade Drooping. Puzzling!

TheoryOfGravityMay 17, 2012

Hi there,

A previous tenant planted a jade plant in the ground. I've lived here since 2008 and haven't had a problem with it other than once over watering it (it developed a powdery substance I guess is mildew). Otherwise it flowers every year and gets red tinge on the leaves other times. Seems normal enough.

Recently I cleared out all the flora around it by light raking and pulling, and now am noticing it drooping to one side. I'm in Southern California. It's been this way about a month that I notice. It could have been earlier, but I just never noticed.

Also, a lot of stems are limp, some are turgid and strong. Also, we just went through our rainy season here in SoCal.

Any ideas? I had the inexperienced idea of slowly bracing it, to gradually push it up. Bad idea? Any better ones out there, so I don't end up massacring it? ;) I've always liked this thing.

Or maybe it's a matter of leaving it alone? (What I do best ;)

As seen from the sidewalk:

As seen falling away from us:

As seen falling toward us (and into the pavement)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheoryOfGravity

I forgot to say: I did try searching, but everything I found was about potted Jade or for mild or cold regions. I did try. ;) If you know of a link talking about in-ground jades that droop, I would be grateful!

ps. The jade gets morning shade, but all day sun after that.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 3:12PM
TheoryOfGravity

It has been hot and sunny for the past few days. The droop seems to be waning, though a little still touches the pavement. It might have just needed the new hot weather to start kicking off. Which is odd since I don't remember this happening before this year... again, I could be wrong with my track record of not paying attention.

I'll post another update if this improvement trend doesn't pan out. I hope this helps anyone else posting about the same thing in the future and this is all they can find. ;)

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:30PM
Microthrix(9)

I suggest maybe trimming allitle?

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:57PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Drooping? Or leaning toward the light?

I can't tell if it has fallen over, or if it naturally wants to grow that direction.

Removing the debris from the soil could also have caused a change in moisture and temperature.

Josh

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Jades - Too many for 1 pot?
I am going to repot my jade as soon as I get all the...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™