Pomegranate bud/fruit drop

roula(SoCal)May 25, 2006

My dwarf pomegranate looks healthy and has produced a lot of flowers. Once the petals fall off the the fruit(?) stays for a few days and then falls off.

I have fed it my citrus fertilizer which is supposedly good for all fruit trees. Is there another fertilizer I should be using? Too much or too little water causing the problem?

I have more buds developing and would like to save them.

This is my first year with a pomegranate tree and need help.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pkayen

It may just take a couple of years before it produces fruit. I had the same problem a couple of years ago when the tree was still small. But last year we got a lot of fruit.

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 6:54PM
roula(SoCal)

Thanks pk! I thought I was doing something wrong.

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 7:58PM
calistoga_al

Punica granatum "Nana" dwarf pomegranate is grown for its beauty not its fruit. Mine is ten years old and has never produced any fruit. I have a "Wonderful" to provide me with pomegranates to eat, and it is grown in my orchard. My Nana is a focal point in my entrance garden leading to my front door, is now six feet tall and more beautifull than ever. Al

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 9:55AM
roula(SoCal)

Hi Al

My tree is "Wonderful" so I hope to get a few fruit next year. It's a pretty tree with lovely flowers.

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 10:23PM
calistoga_al

I would hold off on the fertilizer and would not ever use citrus fertillizer except on citrus. It is heavy on nitrogen which incourages vegetative growth over flowers and fruit. Al

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 9:27AM
BarbF

Should not be fertilizing pomegranate while it's flowering--too much nitrogen will cause the flowers to pop and then drop off. Start fertilizer rich in potassium and potash 0-10-10 at 1/4 strength in fall after it has flowered. when you see signs of new growth then start 10-10-10 until the next flowering cycle, then stop feeding again.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 12:15PM
pomares

Greetings I am a farmer in Spain and am interested in learning about new varieties of pomegranates. I would appreciate your help a greeting.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Growing canker on plum and nectarine trunks
I have a small back yard orchard, most of which was...
Aaron Davidsson
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™