Mammillaria Plumosa ~ A little help with a mix for it...

jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)May 14, 2014

I'm getting ready to repot mine. I thought I had lost it over the winter , but it seems to be making a come back! Yay!!! It's my favorite and I really hope it makes a good come back!!!

I was planning on putting it in Gritty mix ( equal parts of bark , turface and granite) But was wondering if this plant needs a tiny bit of potting mix thrown in. It has a lot of fine roots.

I am taking it out of the nursery mix, which in now what looks like peat turned to powder , :-/ and pumice.

Care info I have found says well draining mix and keep well watered in summer, she will be sheltered from all rain in winter.

JoJo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob61

Don't know if it should need any special treatment than any other Mamm. This is what I use one part each perlite, chicken grit the granite type , and core. If you can't find core just use some topsoil sold at H.D. just the cheap stuff. nothing with peat in it. I also screen the wood chips out of it. The only thing I am care full about with plumosa is I don't let water collect under the spines or in this case fluff of the plant in winter. I know just about everyone has a soil mix for there cactus and this works for here in the humid south. Some one in a more dry atmosphere will have a different one I'm sure. Hope this helps.

Bob

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 6:49AM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hi Bob,
Thank you for your help. I don't have coir, and have have heard too many night mares to try it. :-/

almost all my other plants are in the mix I listed, and do well. I have a few other mamm's but they haven't been moved in years, so I don't really remember the roots.

This one just seemed to have a lot of fine roots, so I wasn't sure about what mix for it.

Everything I have read says they are prone to rot if in a mix that stays moist for a length of time. I don't know how it survived this far in the mess that it is in. lol

I found some info that suggests the mix be at least 50% pumice, which I have, but not sure what the other 50% should be.

JoJo

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:51AM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I have my mams in pumice with 10% calcined clay.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:52AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

JoJo, a gritty type mix, perhaps with extra Perlite to displace moisture? I've never grown a Mamm., but I've seen folks overwater them :-)

Josh

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 11:00AM

Nil13,
Thank you for sharing that. I may try that over the summer after I get a few more plants.
But for now, I use and have faith in the gritty mix I use for others, so would like to stick to it for this plant.

Josh,
Thank you,
I have standard 1-1-1 made up , I will add some more to it.

I have over watered a few other types, and this one ended up too dry over the winter because I didn't get it out of the peat mix.

I've had this plant almost 2 yrs and for the life of me don't know why I didn't move it out of this mix sooner. :-/

JoJo

This post was edited by jojosplants on Thu, May 15, 14 at 11:22

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 11:19AM
stanofh

THAT is one touchy mam. I've killed them twice. So strange that dead ones are not any different looking then living..until they blow away in a wind.
Not a plant to take winter rains well.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 12:54PM

stanofh,
I guess I got lucky with it so far.. and luck runs out..lol.. so that being the need of a great mix. lol..

I actually thought she was dead after such a dry winter, but gave it a good drink anyway and was shocked to see it plump back up. lol...

It will be totally sheltered from winter rain.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 3:17PM

Ok. She's all tucked in,
Well that's odd the picture from my phone posted sideways! UGH! first time trying from the phone. :-/ I will get another pic with my camera.

This post was edited by jojosplants on Thu, May 15, 14 at 17:44

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 5:41PM

In a 4" pot.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:51PM

And here is the mix I ended up with..

It's about 40% pumice (the site that suggested 50% was the Tucson Cactus and Succulent society..so I thought being local I'd start with that)
And a mix of granite, perlite, and some bark sifted 1/8" > 1/4"

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Al's Gritty Mix
Need help finding Bark Fines and Gritty Mix in Greenville,...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™