Anyone else growing perennial lobelia?

Mystery_GardenerAugust 22, 2005

Three years ago my sister gave me a small clump of perennial scarlet red lobelia. Nice and bright, it encouraged me to find more. The blue, white and purple were grown from seed. The pink and dark red were purchased at a local nursery. The scarlet has completed blooming but I got pics of the others just in time, the season is almost over.

Perennial lobelia blue

Perennial lobelia pink

Perennial lobelia white

Perennial lobelia purple

Perennial lobelia red

We had a fascinating specimen of Lobelia tupa which did not make it through the winter :-( I may try it again if I am able to find it in the future.

Lobelia tupa

Cheers,

MG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shapiro(5a Ontario)

Wow! your pictures are really an eyeful! I grew the perennial blue lobelia from seed about 7 or 8 years ago. It is self-seeding itself - not wildly but a few new plants here and there each year. And - the odd one comes out white. A great end of summer perennial. No trouble, no bugs or diseases, just beautiful flowers each year. Now that's what I call a real gem!

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 8:45PM
mora(6)

Wow, wow ! Where might Mora find some of those beauties????? M

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 10:43PM
kat3(z3AB.Can.)

Wow !!! Great pics... Wish I was in a warmmer zone.. All I've had luck with is the red.. Year 3 so far..

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 11:12AM
onewheeler(Z5 N.S.)

The blue lobelia is one of my favorite plants, I must look for the white one, I really like that.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 6:09AM
shapiro(5a Ontario)

Dear Onewheeler: I have never seen the white offered for sale separately - it just "happens" when you grow the blue "lobelia syphilitica" - the occasional one comes out white.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 9:17PM
Mystery_Gardener

Shapiro is correct. My neighbour seeded blue lobelia, gave some of them to me and a few came out white. I could try and collect some seed if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
MG

Bookmark   September 3, 2005 at 9:35PM
onewheeler(Z5 N.S.)

Thanks for that tip. I have lots of the blue ones, they sure are pretty this time of year, plus there must be 40 or 50 seedlings hanging around in the flower beds, hopefully I will get some white ones, I really like them. I wonder if the white ones would come true from seed. Have you tried it and if it does then perhaps I will take you up on your offer for some seeds next spring. Thanks.

Valerie

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 7:27PM
bloomorelse(Z4b NB Canada)

I didn't realize there was a perennial lobelia. These are lovely, and I think I like the Blue one best. What time of year do they flower? I assume they don't flower all summer like the annual one... and where can one get seeds for these. What name would I look for please.
Joan

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 9:24PM
rinomanfroni(7)

Perennial Lobelias are also considered bog plants. Does it mean it is possible to plant them in the water? Wouldn't they rot?

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 2:55AM
More Discussions
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™