when to sow canna in zone5/6?

ranjanaOctober 4, 2006

Hi!

I have collected few varieties of canna seeds this year. In my zone what is the best time to sow them, fall or spring?

Also what is the best method of sowing them.

Thanks,

Ranjana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicolo(7)

Spring. Late winter would be okay if you germinate the seeds in pots and keep them in a sunny window sill or otherwise provide sun and protect them from freezing until the soil in the ground warms up.

When you're ready to do it, use edge of a file to scratch a little nick in the outer shell of each seed on the side of it. That will allow water to get in and speed up the germination. Then, soak the seeds in a glass of water for a couple of days. After a day or two, you might see a white radicle, or rudimentary root begin to emerge from some or all of the seeds. That means they are germinating. Take those out and plant them in pots.

If you don't see the tips of the radicles yet, you would at least hope to see that the seeds have swollen a little. Whether they have begun to germinate or not, I plant them in pots after a maximum of three days in the water. Unless the seeds are dead, they will germinate.

Don't leave them in their first little pots too long. When the soil has warmned up, put them in the ground or into larger pots.

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
suzen221
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™