It Happened Again!

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)August 1, 2011

I look at the passionvines for eggs/cats every day and haven't found any. But today, just like a few weeks ago, I found two cats -

The last two cats were further along than these two, and, fortunately, neither were parasitized, both emerged as perfect adults. Hopefully, these will be perfect, too!

I also found a couple of giant swallowtail eggs on the new growth on my young satsuma tree. All the rains we've been fortunate enough to have recently - just under 12" in July - have brought on new growth on everything, and the eggs were on the new shoots. There was a male pipevine swallowtail nectaring in my garden a little while ago, and I noticed a lot of new growth on the pipevines. Hopefully, a female will show up and use it!

Anybody else been seeing any gulf frits, adult, eggs or cats? I'm still concerned about them. Two cats at a time isn't their normal way!

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Nice surprise!
No Gulf Frits here yet. Last summer they showed up in early to mid August and then I saw them pretty often for the rest of the summer. I don't know how common it is for them to venture this far north. I'm hoping to see some again this summer.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 2:48PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

Sherry,

Which Satsuma do you have? And, where did you purchase it?

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 3:10PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

It's called Brown's Select, a very hardy variety that's supposed to ripen early, the favorite of many citrus growers. I got mine from a road side vegetable/fruit stand, but the tag on it said it was grafted at Becnel's Citrus Nursery, which is the origin of all the local citrus around here. I bought my big orange tree - Louisiana Sweet - at Home Depot, but it also came from Becnel's.
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Becnel Citrus Nursery

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 4:54PM
akaj9(9 Central Florida)

I saw my first here this weekend...normally there are 15+ at any given time during the summer here....Must have been our hard freeze this year, followed by the drought.....I am lost without ours....they are usually here all year long, cept the coldest days....it is so abnormal "not" to have them.....I'll ck my vine tomorrow and see if I have any cats/ eggs

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 9:48PM
imabirdnut

I am finally seeing lots of GFs!!! Once again...they ignore my maypops & only use my Blue passionvines.
I have at least a half dozen adults flying & lots of different instars of cats.
Slow start but it seems to be picking up now even with 105-110 degree temps here! Thank goodness we are on well water!!!

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 11:06PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

That's great, imabirdnut! It's good to hear that somebody is seeing a lot of them!
Akaj9, you've got to see the first one before you see many - hopefully your gulf frit situation will improve soon!
I'm seeing a few, as many as two or three in my garden at the time, but not the usual flock.
Sherry

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:25AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

None in OKC yet, that I know of......

I have lots and lots and lots of passion vine - which I've named Audrey II (Little Shop of Horrors) ready to be eaten.

Susan

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 3:36PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

As many as six gulf frits have been turning up in the garden, nectaring, mostly on lantana. This afternoon I ran across something that gives me hope for eggs and cats -

I sure hope she sticks around with her stash and leaves me some presents! :)
Sherry

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™