canna storage

gimpytwice(5b ohio)October 10, 2007

I have tryed several things but I would like any info from this group that I can get.

The only place I have to store my tubers is upstairs in a closet that is being unused and it gets 40* or colder up there in the winter,(no heat upstairs) really old house..

I would like any tips on how to store them,and thank you very much.

I stored over 200 tubers last year and a person told me to store them in the big plastic trash can I had with peat moss and I lost all of them.HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tonitager(z3 MN)

I store many pounds of bulbs every year and all I do is wash them off and put them in laundry baskets, put them in my root cellar & call it good. They do need air to circulate around them, which was probly the problem with the trash can.

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 8:08PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

I tried storing mine in a cold cellar which went to about 38 degrees F, and up to about 45 degrees F. I found that it was too cold, and I lost many of my tubers.

Last year, I stored them in my wine cellar, ranging from 45 - 50 degrees F, and every one of them survived. That's what I intend to do again this year.

I clean them, wrap them in newspaper, and store them in a large cardboard box ...or two... or three. I think that your problem was with the plastic pail which does not breath at all. I also found that peat moss sucks the moisture out of anything I put in it. Therefore I no longer use it for storing any bulbs, or tubers. In fact, I rarely have it around.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 5:22PM
gardeningfireman(5-NEOhio)

I store mine two ways, both with good luck. One way is in a black garbage with a bunch of small holes punched in it. The other is in large plastic boxes with the snap on lids. I put a little peatmoss on them and open them up to check them two or three times over the winter. I keep them in the basement where it stays in the upper 50's to mid 60's. Last winter, I stored over 500 rhizomes that way and only lost about a dozen.

Bookmark   October 31, 2007 at 9:53PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I leave the dirt on mine. Most are in the pots. The ones not in pots go in garbage bags. Put them in the basement 45-50. Give them 1/2 cup of water once a month.

I try to give my bulbs the growing conditions of outdoors so they get soil, little moisture, cool temps and I have 100% survival.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 11:26PM
chris_ont(5a Ont)

Ditto on leaving the dirt on. Take a long time for the soil to dry out completely. By the spring, the soil comes off much easier than it does in the fall.
My basement does not get very cold but I had no trouble with that. I think the important thing is to keep them in the dark.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 12:40AM
char_2007

Never had cannas until this year. I need to relocate them to another space. It's about time to freeze, and I want them for next spring.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 8:34AM
west_texas_peg(8a West Cen TX)

char_2007,
In your zone they should be fine even if you move them...I moved all of mine last fall. I'm zone 7b and just planted some from a swap yesterday in a new bed and I expect any day to have a freeze. Several of mine are blooming at this time.

Good luck,
Peggy

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
Sponsored Products
Atelier Rolling TV Cabinet
$449.99 | Dot & Bo
Daylight Professional LED Neck Magnifier - UN91221
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Edgewood King Storage Bed - WHITE
$1,899.00 | Horchow
22 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
American Drew Camden-Dark 48 Inch Entertainment Center Feet in Black
Beyond Stores
Monarch Specialties I 7830P Dark Walnut Veneer 3 Piece Coffee Table Set w/ Stora
Beyond Stores
Little Cottage 8 x 10 ft. Value Gable Precut Storage Shed - 8X10 VGS-WPC
Hayneedle
Pitch Shelves - Steuart Padwick
$925.00 | HORNE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™