digging cannas

iowabannutOctober 14, 2008

I was wondering if I need to leave my cannas in the ground until frost kills the foliage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arctictropical(Z4)

No, you can dig them up anytime. Since canna rhizomes don't go dormant like tulip bulbs do, it really does not matter. You interrupt their normal growing cycle no matter when you dig them up. I usually start digging just before a killing frost, since it takes me a full month of spare time to dig mine.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 1:54PM
iowabannut

Thanks, I know the feeling, except it takes a month shutting down and cleaning ponds, leaves, and taking care of all my tropicals.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 2:56PM
dlpasti

where are you at in IA iowabannut? Sioux City here--about to head out and start the canna digging process. What do you grow for canna's?

d

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 5:59PM
papax8(4)

i've been growing cannas for 4 years now and every fall i dig them up , clean them and store them till usually late march and then i start them in a green house. By the time the ground is ready to plant so are the cannas. my question is must i dig them up, or can I leave them in the ground all year?

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 10:32AM
juliabarnes

I leave mine in the ground year-round, and have never dug them up & stored over winter.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 7:26PM
okiehobo(7a)

I have been giving a row of cannas if i will dig them up,
so what i am needing to know is, when is the best time to dig and transplant them? (At the same time)
Or if i dig and store them for awhile before i trasplant them, what is the best way to store them? and when should i plant them?

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™