Laburnum x watererei 'Vossii'

bahia(SF Bay Area)May 22, 2011

I don't usually see one of these trees around these parts, even more rare to see 4 planted as street trees in a garden here in the Berkeley hills. It seems strange to me that this tree has such a disparate climate adaptability, Sunset says zones 1-10 and 14-17, which means it isn't good anywhere down south. I remember seeing classic English and European garden photos with pergolas or allees planted with these, but it is quite rare to see this tree here in the SF Bay Area. I suspect it is somewhat short-lived here, anyone growing this long term to be able to say? Simply gorgeous in bloom at the moment, remind me a bit of the tropical Cassia fistula in bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laburnum x watererei 'Vossii' in bloom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

The first time I saw the photos of the Laburnum Tunnel at Bodnant I thought "I must have that, even if it is as difficult to control as wisteria." Turns out I have to move. I can't think of any better reason to relocate than the ability to grow laburnum. The orchid-colored globe alliums that they grow along the sides just makes it all the more stunning. I like the little trees- I would plant them everywhere, even if they only lived a few years!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bodnant Laburnum Tunnel

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Propaganda Garden Design

I guess it is from higher elevations and doesn't like too much heat? I remember they had it planted in the student parking area at the NYBG and removed them because they just weren't happy or attractive. Not sure how they do in other parts of the east coast because they aren't common there either.

Thanks for that image of them at Bodnant. Makes me wish I was going to have time to visit Wales when I go to England later this week. The Laburnum walk I first heard of was the famous one that Rosemary Verey planted at Barnsley House underplanted with Allium aflatuense. Kew has a Laburnum walk in their Queens garden behind Kew Palace and the employees remove all the seed pods so children won't eat them. All parts of the plant are supposed to be very poisonous.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:03AM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™