Canna Leaves for food display

rick.dOctober 4, 2009

Is it safe to serve food on Canna leaves? I use Banana leaves and it makes a great presentation but the Canna leaves look even nicer.

Searched google and found nothing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
origami_master(5b)

i know that there is a canna whose root is used to make 'arrowroot flour.' i've never heard of cannas being toxic, and I would assume that as long as the cannas were grown in herb-/pest-/insecticide free place it would be safe to serve food on them.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 9:29PM
rkgibbs

I did a quick search online and found some sites stating that parts of the plant are poisonous if not all. Honestly, if you don't find the plants on any lists of edible plants, then it's best to just assume it is poisonous.
But, that doesn't mean you couldn't serve food on it. I would maybe call some local nurseries and ask them what they think. Some plants are only harmful if bitten into. If you are just going to be laying bread or some other food that can just be easily picked up off the leave with out puncturing the leave, then you may be just fine.
Some plants though, can have an oily like substance on the outside that can be poisonous. I doubt canna's are like that because if they were, not as many people would grow them because they'd have to be super careful each time the worked in the garden.
If you do use them, just play it safe and make sure whatever is laid on them is a finger food that a utensil will not be needed because a utensil will puncture the leaves far too easily (even a spoon could scrap into the leaf's flesh.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 10:22PM
promethean_spark

Deer don't eat cannas in my yard, and they eat almost everything else. The other plants that are similarly unmolested are often quite toxic.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 10:56PM
rick.d

great feedback, thank you everyone!

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 12:24AM
sophie12(4)

the darling deer have kept the canna's in my friends yard trimmed to less than a foot tall all summer---even with deer away spray'd on them! yes, virgina, the deer do eat canna!

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
Sponsored Products
Arctic Bird Coffee Canister
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Purple & Pink Sweet Lines Personalized Lunch Tote
$21.99 | zulily
Picnic Time Chairs University of Arkansas Red Sports Chair with Digital Logo
$99.95 | Home Depot
WBM Himalayan Home Spa Treatments Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Lamp (5-7lbs) 1001
$15.12 | Home Depot
5-Pc. Cutlery Set in Black
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Wing Dings� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kaleidoscope - Whimsical Area
$255.95 | Bellacor
Reed and Barton Corp Marielle Indigo All Purpose Bowl - 25211365
$30.00 | Hayneedle
Polka Dot ABCs� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Infants
$255.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™