Monarch Butterfly eggs on milkweed video

tmc2009August 8, 2012

Although it's good to have plants that butterflies feed off of, it's also important to have plants that their caterpillars feed on. I planted some milkweed in the yard but it does spread like crazy and I have been pulling it out but there are plants here and there. I noticed a Monarch breifly land on a couple of individual milkweed plants. I will see if these eggs hatch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch butterfly and eggs video

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runmede(7a Virginia)

Those look like Monarch eggs to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finding and Raising Monarchs by Todd Stout

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 12:17PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

Monarchs are eaten by birds. Other insects have no problem with eating them. Prey mantis, dragonflies, spiders, assassin bugs, wasp, etc.

The deal is that the common milkweed is not that toxic. Swamp milkweed is more toxic. Tropical milkweed is even more toxic. As Monarchs age, they lose toxicity when they lose scales, too. Hawks and dragonflies that migrate eat them too during migration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Butterflies are Eaten by Birds

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 1:34PM
terrene(5b MA)

TMC, there are certain species of perennial milkweeds such as common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) that spread aggressively by runners once established. Others are much better behaved.

Try some tropical milkweed, Asclepias curassavica. It is an annual in any zone above 9 or 10, I think. Mine is not aggressive at all, very pretty too, and I wean all my hatchlings, feed 1st and 2nd instars on tropical, because of it's high toxicity. Then, they go to common because there just isn't enough tropical to feed the large instars.

Runmede I though that the the glycosides in Monarchs were toxic to all vertebrates? However, non-toxic to invertebrates.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 9:15AM
runmede(7a Virginia)

Yes, non-toxic to invertebrates and also many birds still eat Monarchs. Even snakes eat butterflies without a problem, especially in the caterpillar stage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Predation at Overwintering Colonies

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™