Overwintering Cannas - Peat Moss?

bobby1973October 27, 2006

hi folks,

this is my first winter with cannas. once i dry out the rhizomes in the sun and transfer them into a box inside a dry space like a garage, do i need to cover the rhizomes with anything like peat moss to keep them warm? or just throw them into an empty cardboard box? i guess this question applies for any bulbs that require overwintering such as elephant ears, etc.

thanks so much!

~bobby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albertar(z7 LINY)

That is exactly what I do with my canna rhizomes Robert, also the same with elephant ears. I did put a layer of newspaper in the box first though, then the rhizomes then the peat moss. This is like my 4th year for them, so yes, that will work.
Alberta

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 10:32PM
bobby1973

thanks so much alberta! i really appreciate your feedback:)

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 8:28AM
husky004_(z5 NY)

I have great luck just putting them in boxes with newspaper on the bottom and top, no peat moss, store them in the basement and they do fine.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 9:29PM
dianer(z5NY)

my garage gets really cold in the winter. There are some times when water freezes in there in gallon containers. Is it still ok to store the canna lillies in there? Someone gave me some "bulbs" from their garden for the first time. It is in a plastic bag in my garage right now. My basement is heated so I can't use that can I?

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 6:47AM
bobby1973

dianer, it looks like you're in a zone 1 colder than mine (6). but my mom has always kept our canna bulbs in the garage over winter. they've always successfully come back year after year when we re-plant them outside. sounds like most people store their bulbs in a warmer room like the basement. my basement is 'finished' so i'd rather not store bulbs there for appearance-sake. that's why it might be a good idea to throw some peat moss over the bulbs if they'll be stored in the garage - just to give them a little added warmth. just dry them outside in the sun real good before you bring them inside. just my 2cents.

see ya!
bobby

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 10:09PM
dianer(z5NY)

can you define what "dry them" means? how do I know if they are dried? days, hours?

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
knobrocker
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™