Another cool garden visitor

efeuerAugust 10, 2014

And another first for my backyard list. This is so much fun!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Oh, how darling! The hummingbird moths are so cute!

Sherry

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:12PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

So sweet!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:19PM
efeuer

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is probably a Snowberry Clearwing. It was quite small, about the size of a carpenter bee, and I think you can see a suggestion of black legs in some of the photos.

I really am beyond thrilled at the results of my first year butterfly gardening. I still don't have that many host plants in place, but I do have a lot more nectar plants, and I'm seeing a number of species for the first time. Not only the first time in my yard, but some are new to my life list as well. Of course, I'm a complete newbie, so that shouldn't be too surprising. Still, a spicebush swallowtail and an American lady are quite a handsome reward for one year of effort. Not to mention a whole lot more monarchs than I have seen here in years. If only they would leave me some eggs!
Liz

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 6:30PM
MittenGirl(5 NW MI)

This one looks like a Hummingbird Clearwing Moth. The Snowberry is marked like a Bee. It has a black and yellow body and is quite a bit smaller than the Hummingbird Clearwing. I have both visiting my yard daily. They love my butterfly bushes. In fact, just tonight I had two caterpillars hatch on my Honeysuckle vine that are the eggs of one of the two varieties.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Butterflies in my house - what should I do?
I found a cabbage white fluttering between the inner...
joannpalmyra
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™