canna seed on seedling??

knobrocker(5)October 29, 2013

i have grown most of my cannas from rhizomes. i have started this winter to put some seed testing in to the works. i have some good results with my seeds from last year. my question is this seed pod still attached to the growing seedling. i have a couple like this, can i just snip it off, or is it still providing the seedling with some vital nutrients? i don't wanna kill the little guy, it is attached where the embryo came out after soaking. thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Do not remove the canna seed from the emerging seedling as it is still taking some nutrients from the germinated seed. At this point, removing the seed would likely not kill the seedling but it would serve not real purpose.

After scarifying and soaking the seed we typically would plant the canna seed below the soil line and you would not see the results you have achieved.

Kent

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 6:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
knobrocker(5)

thank you kent. i did plant the seeds about a half inch or more deep. perhaps my soil was too loose. when i planted?? i did however plant the emerged embryo down. ty for the pic it helped. sorry to say last ight before i got this i did cut the seed off. all is good so far, still looks very healthy. i only cut the one off incase things were not gonna turn out well. looks in your pic i should have planted embryo side ways, maybe that is where i went wrong? anyway, thanks and they are doing great. it is cool to come home from work and check them out.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
Susan Levy
Sponsored Products
30 in. Rooster with Metal Feathers - 53275
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Cosmic Canna Specialty Wall Art by Kurt Shaffer - KS008-C2232GG
$78.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™