Wintering Cannas

larry_mi63(5MI)October 18, 2006

I live in zone 5 and now have my cannas dug and drying.I store them in the basement over winter. Sometimes they get to dried out and some bulbs have to thrown out in the spring. Can anyone tell me how to prevent this drying out?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joanne77(5)

how warm is your basement? i keep mine in the basement where it is cool and dark in a cardboard box. Maybe it is too warm for them in your basement?

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 10:55PM
larry_mi63(5MI)

Thank You joanne77. I will try your method.My basement is in the 40s in the root celler part were I keep the cannas.

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 7:55AM
bobby1973

hi folks,

do you just toss your canna rhizomes in an empty cardboard box, or do you throw in something like peat moss as well?

thanks so much!

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 6:36PM
solana(z5a NH)

I find rot from being too moist is more of a problem than drying out. My method: dig after frost has killed top growth, let the rhizomes dry in a freeze-free place for a few days. Then brush (not rinse) off the soil, trim back tops, and store whole in plastic bags of un-moistened peat moss in cool, dark cellar. Check on them every month or so, cutting back any rot. Might moisten slightly mid-February.

There are always a few small ends which I compost when potting up in the spring, but they increase so much each year that the loss is mimimal.

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 7:06PM
Grancru(z5 MI)

I keep mine right in their pots in my basementwhich remains 65 degrees throughout the winter. I have no problem with loss at all. In the spring I pull, clean, divide and replant in fresh soil.
I am in Z5 and my garage, I believe, gets far to cold.
I wish the garage were an option. Lugging those huge pots downstairs isn't so easy but it keeps the plants safe.

Grancru

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™