What should I do with bulbs I just got?

slo_poke(z7 NC)October 28, 2006

Hi folks,

I just purchased some Canna bulbs at a church bake sale. (Hey, we are a diverse community!) ;-)

There were about 8 to 10 bulbs in a bag for $5.00 each bag, and they are labeled "Red Foliage with Red Flowers."

I am in zone 7, and probably don't have to worry much about them being underground for the winter. But, I was wondering if I would be better off instead of planting them - to stick them in my basement for the winter. The temps there run in the 60s (F) while my garage gets into the 20s at times.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I'm in zone 8a near Dallas, but much of nearby Ft Worth is zone 7, & we never lift cannas for winter storage.

If I were to get cannas for my own garden or for my aunt's FW garden, I would go ahead & plant them now.

Best luck, & enjoy!

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 11:12AM
solana(z5a NH)

As I understand, Cannas are marginally hardy in zone 7. I live in zone 5, so have to dig them to overwinter, they must be kept above freezing. My advice is to keep them in the cellar for the winter, preferably cooler than 60º (ideal ~40º, perhaps near, in, the bulkhead?)

See my Oct 29 post to the thread linked below for storage method I use.

Ana, who got her first cannas, 6 for $1.00, at the library plant sale in 1997.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintering cannas

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 7:25PM
slo_poke(z7 NC)

Thanks for the replies! Solana, I read your post. Is the peat moss perfectly dry - like dust? Or is it slightly moist? Is the bag tightly sealed with no vent holes?

Thanks,

Ed

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 10:31PM
solana(z5a NH)

Ed,

Yes, peat moss is dry. I just use it as it comes from the bag, no moistening. Enough peat moss so there's at least an inch all around and between rhizomes. Lightly hand twist the plastic bag (I use grocery bags) but don't seal so there's a little bit of air exchange.

Let your observations guide you: check on them every month or so, they should be firm. Expect a small bit of moisture loss, but shouldn't look shrivelled. If they do, sprinkle the peat lightly with water. My basement has a dirt floor, so may be damper than some.

If you notice mold, open the bags more. Rot? trim it out, dust with sulfur if you have it, let the cut dry a couple days before returning to the peat bag.

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™