Ghost Peppers in Alberta

HillSeeker(3B)September 16, 2012

I'm looking for someone that has successfully grown and fully ripened ghost peppers in Alberta. This is my first year growing them. The habaneros are ripening but the ghost peppers are not changing color what so ever. I was hoping to get some input on how long they may take to ripen so that I can decide if I should move the plants indoors or not.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Have you thought of asking this question on the Hot Pepper Forum? They are very experienced and should be able to help.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:57AM
Nicky

I am in Ontario & have grown ghost peppers (:

Once you see a bit of colour it won't be long. This year it took them 3-5 days from the 1st orangish blush to become deep red.

They ripened about 1 week after my 1st habanero & 2 weeks before my 1st Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.

Good luck

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 11:30AM
HillSeeker(3B)

Thank you for the follow up. Finally someone in Canada that has successfully grown and ripened them. I was starting to think it was impossible a few weeks ago. I've had a few ripen and you were right about a week after the habaneros they started. I was surprised at how fast they turn color. I'm still waiting on a chocolate ghost pepper to fully ripen (it's more bright red color now) but supposed to be -4 & -6 here the next few evenings so it's probably time to take them in. What do you do with your unripe peppers? I have about 150 peppers that won't be plant ripened and don't think they will ripen indoors.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 5:56PM
Nicky

Hi,
Sorry I missed the reply (:
I grow my superhots in containers & bring them inside in the fall. They all ripen in my sunny laundry room. It is too dark for new peppers to set, the blossoms just drop off. When they have all ripened I cut them back to where the main stem branches apart & water infrequently. Set them back out again in the spring.

I'm not sure what you could do with the green ones that you don't think will ripen... mine always turn colour eventually. You could try making sauce out of them anyway (:

Ghost Peppers sure are prolific. I have run out of things to do with mine (:

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™