Canna leaves not opening?

maddigger(z6 NW Arkansas)October 2, 2005

Each year my cannas do great and bloom beautifully. Toward fall, several of the plants leaves stay closed in a sort of wrapped effect and the new leaves below try to grow through the twisted one and they twist the shoot completely over. What causes this. I 'd like to solve this one as I loose a lot of flowering in the fall. Thanks for any help in advance. Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JohnNC7B(z8aNC)

Jim,
It sounds like you have a canna leaf roller at work. Take a look at this link for more info. Also search this forum for addition info.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/f&b_11.htm

John

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 10:05AM
maddigger(z6 NW Arkansas)

Hey John, You were right. I didn't find any caterpillars but the damage is exactly like that pictured on the web you site you gave me. That had a lot of info. I may not have found any caterpillars because I had sprinkled seven dust on them a couple nights ago to get rid of the grass hoppers. I sprayed them today with diazinon because it was the only thing that had "for leaf rollers" that I had. I plan to get the recommended insecticide. I'm happy only the one bed of the three is infected. By the way, do you know if you take the seed pod off the plant and wait until it turns brown or wait till it turns brown on the plant? I want to try raising some by seed. I plan to get a few hybred white and pink ones. Thanks for the quick response and help. Have a great week, Jim

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 6:38PM
JohnNC7B(z8aNC)

Jim,
Glad the info was of use. But you have now mined the total depth of my canna knowledge. Someone else more up to the minute will have to step.

I too was out un-sewing the "silk" stiches and unrolling my cannas today. I found the little worms in about 2/3 of them; smushed those little buggers whenever I found them.

Good Luck with yours,
John

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
Leave turning yellow & brown
Hi all I'd like some help please. About 6 weeks ago,...
Spotteddog101
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
another use for 100 mph tape
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
Sponsored Products
Cosmic Canna Specialty Wall Art by Kurt Shaffer - KS008-C2232GG
$78.99 | Hayneedle
30 in. Rooster with Metal Feathers - 53275
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Flambeau Canna Gold Buffet Lamp
$349.80 | LuxeDecor
Flambeau Canna Antique Washed Buffet Lamp
$349.80 | LuxeDecor
Flambeau Canna Silver Buffet Lamp
$349.80 | LuxeDecor