My 2006 garden mistake

sydseeds(5A /ON)September 20, 2006

With the weather being warm and the ground so easy to dig in due to the recent rains I decided to dig my holes for the tulips.

Didn't dropped in any bulbs while digging but thought it would be nice to not have to don a parka & mittens during the hole-digging part down the road.

Since I plop in 50 bulbs per hole, those holes are pretty big. I dug the holes about a week ago.

Here's the problem......the piled earth from the holes being dug (that is needed to back-fill the holes) is gone!

The rains basically washed away/leveled the mound of earth. Now I am stuck with having to go run around at the limited gardening centres that still have stock to find bags of top soil to back fill these huge holes.

What a pain. Hope my posting helps others - if you're digging the hole - wait until the weather is suitable to do the bulb planting, otherwise, that backfill of earth may disappear on you if you wait too long.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

Whoops! Not a bad idea though, pre digging some holes. I suppose you could put a tarp or something over the pile of soil to keep it from washing away.

BP

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Has anyone given up on hostas?
I know they're a shade garden staple, and they look...
noplacelikehomeforsure
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™