Keeping creosote bush alive in the Bay Area

alaskagrownMay 10, 2012

So, I lived in Tucson for a couple of years and I LOVE the smell and color of the creosote bush (Larrea tridentata) that grows all over the southwest. I always snip bunches of it when I go there.

Recently, a friend who knows how much I love this plant BROUGHT ME ONE from Arizona to my house in Oakland, and I'm worried about it.

Any ideas? I know this thing would thrive in the CA desert but I don't know if I can keep it dry or warm enough here.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Probably best planted in full sun and a top of a raised mound amended for fast drainage. It isn't likely to be happy with our winter rains and typical clay soils. You might find it equally enjoyable to discover some easier to grow California coastal sage scrub plants that might replace the Arizona scents, check out Cleveland Sage, Salvias clevelandii.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 1:17AM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

I hiked a 75 mile trek through the Buenos Aires National Park just south of Tucson and I just loved the native plants there! Creosote was definitely one of my favorite! Good Luck

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:17PM
lzrddr(91360)

I can't even grow creosote here in inland Los Angeles, despite our desert-like conditions... this plant is notoriously difficult outside true deserts without true desert soils, either.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:35PM
alaskagrown

Thanks to everyone who responded! Maybe I could keep it in a pot, inside or out? It's still in the pot; I know they have large root balls that go deep, so maybe repot it in a really BIG pot?

(I am clearly a competent gardener, wink)

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™