What potting mix to use for an avocado tree in container?

sonaliagrawalMay 3, 2009

I just bought a beautiful 3 foot avocado tree from a nursery. I plan to grow it in a large container for a year before planting it in ground next year. I am hoping that it will be sturdier / stronger by then, as well as I will have landscaped to find the right spot for it in my front or back yard. I already have a huge plastic container that I plan to drill holes in.

The question I have is - what kind of soil / potting mix to use for avocado tree? Is regular miracle gro potting mix good enough or should I mix something inw ith it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

As you are filling a very large container you would like something available in bulk that will hold up without breaking down and failing to drain well. I would suggest you check with the landscape supply sources in your area. Many nurseries buy their soil mixes from them and some will sell in smaller quantities. I use from one to two cubic yards a year for containers and have found the nursery mix to be much better than what is available from garden centers. Al

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 9:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zadal

Supersoil brand of Potting Mix is awesome for avocado. Drains well and holds decent amount of moisture.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™