rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)November 26, 2004

So, I am new to Cannas. I am in tropical zone 10. I have my cannas in pots until I move to my new place. They looked good up until a few weeks ago (when it started getting cold at night- mid 60'S- brrrrr). Now their leaves are browning and dying down. New growth is coming up, but slowly. Are they going dormant? Should I stop watering? - Any advice is appreciated- Gwenn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

Maybe you've watered them too much?

Here in zone 8a, cannas stay in the ground year-round, & this exceptionallly mild & wet summer I didn't water mine at all.

The first "killing frost" (a hard freeze which damages plants)kills the foliage, & I cut it off & put a little mulch over the rhizomes.

That's all.

Period.

Here, cannas are so carefree that they're a landscaping favorite of gas stations:

I'll bet they're the same where you live!

Bookmark   November 26, 2004 at 7:22PM
cannafreak(z7 NY)

Cannas growth will slow down as the temperatures drop. The browning of the leaves could be overwatering or the drop in temp. Slow down on the watering let it dry out somewhat. HTH, Tara

Bookmark   November 26, 2004 at 11:54PM
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

That is probably it- we just finished rainy season. I will cut all the dead stuff down and see what happens. If they predict rain, I will move them under the porch for a while. Thanks- Gwenn

Bookmark   November 27, 2004 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
knobrocker
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™