What do I do with the roots all over the canna rhizomes?

irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)November 23, 2005

HI. I'm new to cannas and am in the process of storing them over the winter in my attic.

I just am ready to pack bengal tiger and was wondering, what do I do with the bunch of roots coming out of the rhizomes? Do I leave them or cut them off?

----

Also, I've noticed that different varieties, like this one and red king humbert had completely different types of rhizomes. The red king humbert has what looks like tulips bulbs attached to the sides and bottom of each other. How do I know where to divide them? I just kept about 5 of them together when I broke the clump up. It is amazing how fast that variety multiplied.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Cut the wee roots off ( no pun intended ). They will only shrivel in the winter anyway.

I tend to keep the rhizomes together until they start sprouting. Then I can readily see which ones are viable. At that point, I cut them, dust with a fungicide, let dry a wee while, and then plant in the spring.

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 7:50PM
rsieminski(9b)

What fungicide do you recommend?

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 10:07PM
irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)

Jroot - thank you for this info. But I'm still a bit confused, there are big roots and tiny roots. Do I cut off all the big roots?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving,
Maureen

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 11:21AM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Sorry about that. It is the Scot in me ( or as my wife says "the scotch in" me). LOL Wee means small.

Cut off the small roots. If they are really huge, the larger ones CAN be cut after cleaning. IF you cut, the wound should be dusted with some sort of bulb and tuber dust ( a fungicide), as well as the rest of the rhizome. Personally, I like to keep the stock together, and divide in the spring, as I mentioned because I can more readily see which are viable sprouts.

Store them in a dark, dry place about 55 degrees F. They don't like to be cold or they rot (I found that out the hard way), and they don't like to be hot or they sprout. The rest period is necessary though.

By the way, the trimming of the roots, I usually do in the fall as it is easier to clean. However, many folks dig it up, and "park" the clump in the cool, dry spot until spring, and then do the trimming. Either time works well, but trimming in the fall allows for less space being used, if space is at a premium. It is definitely at a premium in my wee house, as I need space for my dahlia, and my 20 + brugmansia trees.

Bookmark   November 25, 2005 at 5:27PM
rsieminski(9b)

What fungicide do you recommend?

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
Not to brag, but...
I scarified 12 canna seeds (very common old-fashioned...
tomtuxman
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
Sponsored Products
Avanity Bathroom Provence 49 in. Vanity with Granite Vanity Top and Undermount
Home Depot
Personalized Pet Treats Jar - P
$125.00 | Horchow
New 12' X 18' Rust/Navy Palace Size Hand Knotted Heriz Serapi Wool Rug H3283
BH Sun Inc
'Love Bears All Things' Plaque
$6.49 | zulily
Dillion Old Bronze Two-Light Wall Sconce
$364.00 | Bellacor