canna tropical salmon seed question

shabba(5/NE IL)November 13, 2009

I just purchased some canna tropical salmon seed but now read somewhere that the seeds will be either sterile or not grow true to the salmon cannas. Can anyone conform this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxxanne

Cannas do not come true to parent but usually are very similar, depends on what pollen fertilized the seed. If the seeds are nice big round seeds they are fertile. You must nick the seed before planting. If you have a dremel that's the best way to do it. I prefer growing cannas from seed, it's always a nice surprise what you get.
Roxanne

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 3:18PM
shabba(5/NE IL)

Thanks, The seeds are almost 2x the size of a BB. Ill give them a try. Never done canna by seed before so this will be a new experience. Ie only have 1 canna and it didn't flower this last season. Hope I didn't waste money on another that won't flower.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 5:10PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

If it's not blooming then you need to water it more and add some fertilizer most likely. I've never had one that didn't flower. I water them daily and add soluble MG every month during the growing season.

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 2:58PM
struwwelpeter(5)

The 'Tropical' series is bred to be grown from seed as an annual and, as such, will be uniform in appearance and have good germination rates. In zone 5, you should start indoors in late March.

I have grown Canna Tropical Rose with good success and all of the plants and flowers looked the same.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 11:09AM
struwwelpeter(5)

You don't need to nick 'Tropical' seed. They are bred to germinate easily.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 11:14AM
mori1(5b/6a)

I'm growing some yellow ones from seed all five germinated but I lost one. I actually like growing them from seed, its seems easier.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 4:22PM
shabba(5/NE IL)

Thanks for all the help. I now have about 20 that were started by seed. I think I may have over done it. Guess Mom's getting for Mothers Day.......

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
Susan Levy
Not to brag, but...
I scarified 12 canna seeds (very common old-fashioned...
tomtuxman
knobrocker
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™