Jade grafting update
A while back I posted a question about if grafting jades was possible. I didn't get a conclusive response, so I decided to experiment and see what I could do. People knew it could be done, but no one that responded had successfully done it.
Either over Christmas break or spring break, I whacked one of my large jades. I also lopped a branch from another one of my jades and cut both at a diagonal. I matched up the segments and wrapped twine around the stem since I only had a night to do it and had no quality grafting materials around. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of that stage of the process.
I just got back home yesterday, and over those few months it looks like the graft took. Here are the pictures:
This is the plant with the twine still attached. The entire top foliage is grafted on.
Closeup of twine & graft.
Closeup on graft after twine. Note the aerial roots it tried to develop before (I assume) the graft took.
Another closeup. Here you can see where the real meat of the graft took.
With the success of this project, I really want to try a FrankenJade with branches of hobbit, gollum, compact, normal, hummel's sunset etc. It would take time, though, and right now the only other variety I have is a small gollum. Someday, though...