Wild Black Cherry Cats

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)August 23, 2013

When I got some fresh cherry leaves for my red-spotted purple cats, I didn't notice the cherry dagger moth caterpillar on it. After I got it in the cage, I saw it and started to put it back onto a cherry tree, but changed my mind - I'll raise the moth myself. Red-spotted purples co-exist on cherry trees with many other leps - tiger swallowtails, cherry dagger moths, cecropia moths, tent caterpillars, etc. It reminded me of what a great host tree Prunus serotina is!

Here's a close-up of the little cherry dagger moth -

The last instar for cherry dagger moths looks very different from the one in the picture, so I'll get to see that one in the flesh.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dr.liz(7 NJ)

Very interesting! I look forward to seeing the follow-up pictures. And the depth of your knowledge always impresses me!
Liz

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 5:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom123_gw

Sherry, I once posted on the Florida Garden Forum asking what people thought was the best tree for wild life in their area. I stated that I thought it was the Prunus Serotina. It is listed as a host for a bunch of butterflies, including the red-spotted purple, tigers and other butterflies and moths. Also, many birds enjoy the cherries when they ripen.

I have to say, however, that my tree, which is now over forty-feet high does not seem to get many tigers and I can never recall seeing a red-spotted purple. I also have a huge Sweet Bay Magnolia that doesn't seem to attract many tigers. Come to think of it my Spicebush does't attract many spicebush butterflies either. I keep looking for cats and don't see any.

I do have a fine crop of wasps, however.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™