need help with a id

miketropicNovember 16, 2013

I have a pic from someone elses garden of a canna I have never seen. the leaf is a plum purple and very wide with a green stripe similar to an athena. the flower is a polyploid type with large pedals and are pink. I do have a pic of this but im on my phone. if no one can id it I will put the pic up..would really like to get one of these

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Mike,

A photo is a must do.

Kent

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 1:02AM
miketropic

this one over in the corner..plum purple leaf with the green stripe..I did get a chance to talk to the owner he said he would look for the tag he has had it 5 or 6 years..he said only some of them will make the stripe as well so it could be a mutation

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 7:53AM
canna2grow

Mike,

Your landscaping is quite nice. I am at a loss as to the identity of your canna if you consider it to have a pink bloom. Its foliage strongly resembles C. La France which I will attempt to attach a couple of photos. The bloom color may not be a match. This cultivar is sometimes sold as Tropicanna Black here in the U.S. This might account for your friendâÂÂs acquisition. Another clue might be if we knew where he had obtained his plant. I suspect the green stripe as you describe rarely occurs and is more of an anomaly.

You have to be the judge of that.

Kent

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 12:27PM
canna2grow

Mike,

Try to post a better photo of the leaf.

Kent

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 12:30PM
miketropic

well it isn't my landscapeing but it is very nice. the pic came from a mans garden over in the uk. if he gets back to me with a name I will def let you know. I have some tropicanna black and the leaves are more bronze like australa..those look very very purple to me...close but I don't think that's it. I will update if I ever find out..I also asked if that rhizome keeps putting out the odd ball leaves if I could purchase one from him so we will see..it could always revert but would be nice if it didnt

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™