Spring bulbs in large containers

Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)September 23, 2013

I'm in zone 5b, Ontario ... really cold winters and usually lots of snow. Usually anything left in containers outside over the winter does not grow again in the spring.

I've successfully grown hosta in large pots for a couple of years and stored them in the unheated garage over the winter.

I'm thinking of trying a pot of spring bulbs, stored in the garage over the winter and bought back outside in the spring. The soil will get really hard but not that rock hard freeze that happens to pots left outside all winter.

Has anyone tried doing this successfully?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosco_p(z6a ont.canada)

Crafty; I have had some success with a few bulb types that I have overwintered in my "attached" but unheated garage. I regularly have my Calla lillies stay dormant in their pots over winter as well as elephant ears and both do very well.. I have not tried spring flowering bulbs as tulips etc. HTH Ross.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 2:02PM
Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)

Thanks for the reply Ross. I have Peruvian daffodils that I usually bring inside and store in the well cupboard, maybe I could try them in the garage this year too.

I'm thinking I just might try some spring bulbs, haven't got much to lose but the price of some daffodils or tulips.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftygardener.ca

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:12PM
mollyzone5

I pot up Spring bulbs in Fall and bury the pots in a raised bed for winter.Come Spring they will sprout and I pull up the pots and put them where I want some color.Been doing this for years,always works.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 9:44AM
Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)

Hi Molly, I've done that in the past too, but the pots have always been the smaller ones. This time I want to try a big, big pot ... too big to dig into the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftygardener.ca

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 3:46PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

The lilies I've had in containers have done well - it wasn't a huge container, but big enough. I would bury it in the vegetable garden, so easier digging. I've also done tulips but they've never done well - they come up but end up being a bit misshapen or warped. This year, the bulbs in one of the containers rotted and I took the others out and planted them in the ground. I'm not sure if I could overwinter them in the garage in zone 3, though dh keeps it minimally heated because it's his workshop too. And besides, there's no room in there!

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 10:03PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

This should work quite well for you. Just remember to check the pot a few times during the winter, and give it some water if the soil looks extremely dry. If the pot was outside in your zone, it would get moisture from the snow and/or rain.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™